Has there been a better invention since the beginning of time? A vice that makes you feel, a vice that can’t felt with the hands, but by the heart. Let’s talk music!
How old would you say music is? Who would you say discovered music? Well, this can not be known for sure, as there are no time travel machines. But, traces have been found over time by palaeontologist, for example: The Divje Babe flute, carved from a cave bear femur, is thought to be at least 40,000 years old.
‘Music has always been around’; is a fair statement; as it can not only be produced with the use of sophisticated tools; but can be easily elicited with the use of the most primitive tool: the mouth.
We have had tons of amazing musicians come into existence just to leave us with the most wonderful music, songs, tunes; call it whatever you like. But music is absolutely immortal! Musicians like Bob Dylan, Mozart, Ella Fitzgerald, Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury, Frank Sinatra, Fela Kuti; these are people who have been immortalised by music; these people chose to be mediums; gave their entire lives to the creating and delivering of music; leaving us with sounds that we can cherish throughout the span of time.
Music has loads of cool attributes, can be used for tons of purposes; marriages, burials, graduation ceremonies, worship, and even as a coping mechanism. But, that isn’t what I want to write about. I want to tell you what you don’t know about music.
I will try to share some cool facts about music; that you hopefully don’t know about:
- In 2016 Mozart; who was alive two centuries ago: sold more CDs than Beyonce. Thus proving my point that music is indeed immortal.
- Music enhances physical performances. So next time try using it in a room.
- In 2015, a Canadian astronaut named Chris Hadfield released his first album, which was entirely recorded while he was in space. Yup, you read right; he recorded and released an album in space.
- Music helps plants grow faster. Talk about music being magical.
- In 2011, the “Lady Blunt” Stradivarius violin sold for a world-record $15.9 million which is equivalent to roughly over six million Naira.
- The World’s Longest Running Performance Will End in the 27th Century; The performance by an automated organ progresses so slowly that visitors have to wait months for a chord change, and is scheduled to conclude in 2640; that’s over 600 years; the music is John Cage’s ‘As Slow As Possible’ and is currently still being played at the St. Buchard Church in Germany.
- A Song That Gets Stuck in Your Head is Called an Earworm; it wouldn’t be me if I didn’t share a weird one. Oh, you thought the rest were weird?
Well, we’ll end it here. But just one question though; do you think music is evolving into a better form? Or is it getting too trivial? Is it now, just being made for money?